Oxfam International EU office is looking for a media advisor to work with the OI EU team to lead and create media and communication products, and to increase Oxfam International’s influence on European Union (EU) public policy through media and communications, including assisting in Oxfam’s pan-European campaigning.
DEPARTMENT PURPOSE: Oxfam is comprised of 21 Affiliates and a Secretariat (Oxfam International) working in over 90 countries and fighting the injustice of poverty. We work in three ways: humanitarian aid delivery and emergency response; long term development; and advocacy and campaigning. Oxfam’s EU Advocacy Office sits within the Advocacy, Campaigns and Engagement department. The department leads the global policy, advocacy, and campaigning on behalf of the confederation, including on multilateral agencies such as the United Nations, European Union and World Bank and International Monetary Fund.
TEAM PURPOSE: This post will be part of the Oxfam International EU Advocacy Office which is based in Brussels, Belgium. The Oxfam EU team focuses on the EU institutions, primarily the European Commission, Council and Parliament, advocating for sustainable, inclusive, and accountable programming and policies. The team also acts as a service hub for the Oxfam Confederation, supporting country offices and partners to engage with the EU in Brussels and in countries (through EU Delegations), as well as coordinating efforts amongst European affiliates regarding European policies.
ROLE REPORTS TO: Senior EU Media Advisor
- Media content creation: Lead on internal and external EU-focused media and communications products (including drafting, copy-editing, securing sign off and pitching) with inputs from EU policy advisors, other internal actors from across the confederation and external stakeholders in the case of joint media work.
- Training of spokespersons: Work with EU policy advisors and other internal actors to ensure that they are media trained.
- Digital media content creation: Update and implement the OI EU digital media strategy to use OI EU accounts to bring attention to Oxfam EU key messages amongst our target audience. This includes content creation for digital media as well as managing and updating the Oxfam EU website.
- Media contacts: Expand media contacts in Brussels identifying key contacts and organising press events. Be able to pitch and brief journalists, respond to media requests and proactively identify opportunities to place stories to outlets. Manage a database containing these contacts.
- Media analysis: Monitor and conduct analysis on media coverage.
- Events: Support policy-advisors in organising events both online and offline. Support in organising trainings young activists online and in an in-person event in Brussels in September as part of the EC Dear Spark EU event.
- Supporting the confederation: Provide tailored information and advice to members of the Oxfam family on relevant EU processes, issues and players. This includes advice in relation to proactive and reactive handling of branding issues.
- Media and communication strategy: contribute to discussions on strategy within the EU office and the confederation.
- Ensure that all products are created in line with Oxfam policies and organisational values. This includes securing sign-off, branding requirements, and inclusion of a gender equity lens.