The Crawford Fund’s 2018 annual conference titled, “Reshaping Agriculture for Better Nutrition – The Agriculture, Food, Nutrition, Health Nexus” will be held on 13-14 August in Canberra.
Agricultural scientists have long highlighted the plight of the world’s hungry, with their work resulting in yield increases that have fed billions. However, there is increasingly a much needed focus on not just producing more food, but producing it better, with less.
The imperative to reshape agriculture to meet the competing nutritional needs of the hungry and the over-nourished, and the finite resources of our environment will be in the spotlight at this year’s annual conference.
The triple burden of undernourishment, over-nutrition and micronutrient deficiencies will be front and centre. Speakers will examine sustainability issues, planetary health concerns, the impact women can have to influence dietary intake and health outcomes, and the roles agriculture and research can play.
Since our last notice, we are pleased to advise that the event will be addressed by The Hon Julie Bishop MP, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade.
We are also very pleased to have another eminent Australian deliver the Sir John Crawford Memorial Address at our specially styled networking dinner. Ms Frances Adamson, Secretary, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and former International Adviser to the Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, MP, will be this year’s presenter, joining the line of distinguished presenters since the address commenced in 1985.
We have drawn on Australian and the world’s best experts and practitioners to investigate these issues, including:
- Dr Alessandro Demaio, CEO of the Eat Foundation and perhaps better known in Australia as co-host of the ABC television show Ask the Doctor;
- Rebecca Boustead, Head of Corporate Communications, Government Relations and Public Affairs, Kellogg Asia Pacific;
- Dr Jessica Fanzo, Co-chair of the Global Nutrition Report; Senior Nutrition and Food Systems Officer, UN FAO; and Bloomberg Distinguished Professor, Johns Hopkins University;
- Dr Marco Wopereis, Director General of the World Vegetable Center;
- Professor Glenn Denning, Professor of Professional Practice, School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University and Earth Institute;
- Prof Andrew Campbell, CEO of the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research; and,
a range of researchers presenting case studies of impact for nutrition security in PNG, Timor Leste, East Africa and Bangladesh.
All the information you need is on our conference website.