The Association of Agricultural Research Institutions in the Near East and North Africa, (AARINENA) was established in 1985 to strengthen cooperation among national, regional and international agricultural research institutions and centers through dissemination and exchange of information, knowledge and experiences. The main mission of AARINENA is to contribute to the enhancement of agricultural and rural development in the region through fostering agricultural research and technology development and by strengthening collaboration within and outside the region in order to achieve greater degree of self-reliance in food and agriculture and to improve the nutritional well-being and overall welfare of the people in the region, while at the same time sustaining and further improving the productive capacity of the natural resources base.
Profile Requirement of the Executive Secretary:
The Executive Secretary of the Association is appointed by the Executive Committee among the qualified and well experienced scientists from the region with a PhD degree in agricultural sciences or related fields applied to agricultural issues. The applicants should have credentials in agricultural research and regional and international collaboration and be fluent in English and preferably in Arabic as well. Under the overall supervision of the President, the Executive Secretary should take all necessary actions to implement the decisions of the triennial General Conference and the Executive Committee and to manage and run the day-to-day functions of the Association. The Executive Secretary shall specifically have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Organize conferences, workshops, training programs and any other meetings upon the request of the Executive Committee.
- Organize the triennial General Conference and Executive Committee meetings, prepare the minutes and arrange for the publication, distribution and preservation of the reports and proceedings of all meetings of the Association.
- Prepare the Association's work plan and budget in alignment with the Association strategy, propose joint work programs and activities with other regional and international organizations and ensure the coordination of all activities among the members of the Association.
- Develop regional and interregional collaborative projects requested by the Executive Committee or President in coordination with the NARSs involved and the partner research and development institutions/agencies within and outside the region and to communicate and follow-up with the relevant donors to fund the projects for implementation.
- Provide support and follow-up with the Coordinators of the Networks established by the Association to facilitate and ensure their operation and prepare periodic reports on their performance for the assessment by the Executive Committee.
- Manage the financial affairs of the Association and, in particular, collect annual membership fees, raise funds from different other sources, and receive any other financial contributions to the Association, account for all funds received, make payments in accordance with policies established by the General Conference and the Executive Committee and submit audited accounts to the trienel General Conference.
- Arrange publication of the Association's Newsletter and technical reports and provide documentation services to facilitate easy access to needed information on agricultural research in all sub-regions.
- Manage and update the Association website
- Monitor and assess the activities of the Association networks and subnetworks
- Undertake any other duties entrusted to him by the President or the Executive Committee.
Appointment and Salary:
The Executive Secretary will be appointed by the Executive Committee according to AARINENA’s rules and regulations. Initial appointment will be for four years based on the annual performance assessment by the Executive Committee (with possible extension to a maximum of 4 years for a total of 8 years). The salary and benefits will be negotiated and set by the Executive Committee based on the location of the Association Secretariat.
Deadline to receive applications is 20 November, 2018
Please submit a letter of interest, substantiating your suitability for the position together with curriculum vitae, photocopies of supporting documents and the names of three professionals (including telephone and facsimile numbers, and e-mail addresses) who could provide references upon request.
The application must be sent under confidential cover latest by 20 November, 2018 to AARINENA Secretariat by email: m.ajlouni[at]cgiar[dot]org. Kindly note that only the shortlisted applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted and called for interview by the Search Committee.