The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, they aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, they conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Their headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
The primary responsibilities of this Senior Scientist position are to contribute to the development and implementation of the Value Chains, Finance and Investments (VFI) Team’s research agenda. CIFOR’s strategy aims to support progress in i) achieving sustainable value chains and commodity supply in forest landscapes, ii) developing business models that deliver improved social and environmental outcomes, and iii) promoting responsible finance mechanisms that contribute to advancing sustainable land and resource uses.
Main specific responsibilities involve:
• identifying strategic research opportunities, providing leadership and undertaking research as well as coordinating research projects
• leading policy engagement to ensure the timely delivery of relevant and high-quality scientific outcomes to support policy dialogues from government and private sector actors, and multistakeholder processes
• contributing to capacity development through supporting research partner organizations and other knowledge-sharing and policy engagement partners
• contributing to resources development and fund-raising strategies to support the implementation of the research, policy engagement and capacity development strategy of the VFI Team.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Science, outreach and engagement, and capacity development (50%)
- Undertake scientific and implementation activities within the VFI Theme and facilitate interactions with those from other Themes at CIFOR as appropriate.
- Provide scientific guidance and ensure that the concepts and methods of the research carried out are appropriate and meet the highest scientific standards, reflecting up-to-date scientific methods and concepts.
- Define and implement research activities in important and emerging areas of research, especially those embraced under the VFI Theme.
- Identify and support progress along impact pathways to ensure the relevance of research to target policy arenas and practitioner communities.
- Write and supervise publications and other scientific communications related to research activities.
- Disseminate science through social and other media (e.g. infobriefs and blogs).
- Contribute to policy-science dialogue of relevant projects, especially those included in the VFI Theme.
- Contribute to the organization and scientific content of CIFOR-hosted events and other conferences including workshops, retreats and meetings.
- Lead and supervise the capacity development initiatives of projects under implementation, especially those relevant to the VFI Theme and contribute to other capacity development efforts.
- Supervise national staff, students and junior scientists in their learning and professional development by providing feedback, coaching, mentoring and resources, and by identifying learning goals and opportunities for professional development.
- Coordinate the implementation of projects while ensuring the proper management of available financial and human resources for the achievement of expected project outcomes.
2. Strategic partnership and policy engagement (25%)
- Maintain and further develop high-level relationships with key CIFOR partners and stakeholders; including national governments; multilateral, international and regional organizations; donor agencies; nongovernmental organizations; and research institutions.
- Provide support to the coordination of and collaboration with other CGIAR centers working with the CGIAR Research Programs of which CIFOR is a member.
- Define and implement strategies for policy engagement to contribute to the achievement of outcomes and impacts from key research and findings.
- In collaboration with the Communications, Outreach and Engagement Team (COE), other Team Leaders and Scientists, ensure that information about CIFOR and the outcomes of its research are effectively conveyed to partners and target audiences.
- Contribute to communication targeted at policy makers (including workshops, website and policy briefs) about relevant projects.
- Represent CIFOR in national, regional and/or global science-policy dialogue, as appropriate.
3. Proposal development and resources mobilization (25%)
- Work with Team Leaders, the Resource Mobilization Team, and with scientists as appropriate, to identify and develop strategies to secure funding to enable research agendas.
- In conjunction with relevant scientists and other Team Leaders, contribute to the development of research and other proposals in support of CIFOR research and policy engagement.
- Develop strategic partnerships with the potential to contribute to successful fund raising in areas that contribute to achieve the CIFOR mandate and expected outcomes.
- Coordinate with other CIFOR scientists regarding the development of proposals, targeted engagement and other activities that require collaborative work across CIFOR’s Themes.
For further information on qualifications, competencies and application procedure, click here.