Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is an FAO and the European Union partnership programme with the purpose of providing a policy assistance facility for improved food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture. FIRST is designed to strengthen the enabling environment for food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture (FNSSA) in a number of selected priority countries. FIRST is embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure. It contributes directly to the food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture policy and governance related results envisioned under FAO Strategic Objectives 1 and 2.
The Senior Consultant works under direct supervision of the FAO Representative to Trinidad & Tobago and Suriname and the overall technical guidance of the FIRST Manager (FAO/Rome). He/she will work in close collaboration with the EU delegation and the relevant ministries.
Development and implementation of coherent, integrated and effective policy advice, capacity development and governance for achieving food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and poverty reduction in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework and in response to policy assistance needs and demands at country levels.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Analyse and supports operational policies to strengthen the county’s inter –and intra- sectoral and institutional arrangements and capacity;
- Promote inter-sectoral collaboration in programme planning and implementation of actions among all sectors involved in FNSSA;
- Advocate strategic partnerships, best practices, and increased policy dialogue for effective working relationships, consensus and agreements with national and regional partners;
- Support advocacy and awareness campaigns on FNSSA to Ministries (Officials and Ministers), relevant institutions and general public;
- Provide support as required to the food and nutrition security council and intergovernmental commission so that they provide guidance, as well as monitors and evaluates interventions related to food utilization and food availability as part of the Food and Nutrition Security Policy and Action Plan;
- Plans, organizes and participates in capacity development activities as endorsed by the Government;
- Prepare reports to FAO, European Union and Government on progress achieved and issues related to FIRST implementation;
- Perform other duties as required.
The following are the expected key deliverables of the Policy Specialist:
- Consensus among all sectors involved in Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture in programme planning and implementation;
- Updated National Food Security and Nutrition Policy Framework with prioritized action and institutional mechanism with working groups and stakeholders involved drafted;
- Capacity building scheme for facilitating working groups and implementing the Food Security and Nutrition Policy Framework;
- Report assessing the relevance and realism of existing policy frameworks including adequacy of resource allocation and implementation capacities within the agricultural sector is available and consensus among major stakeholders on the findings.
For more information about qualifications, competencies and application procedure, click here.