October was an exciting month for the Partners in GFAR! We came together to break down the barriers between our institutions, open up dialogue and take action as a unique Global Forum. Together, we:
- Launched a Collective Action on Transformative learning and student leadership, to fundamentally transform our higher education institutions, so that they meet the needs of our young people today and tomorrow
- Ramped up the online outreach of the 44th session of the Committee on World Food Security, raising awareness on a wide range of issues relevant to food and nutrition security, from conflict and migration to agrobiodiversity, the food-health nexus, climate change, women's empowerment and much more
- Examined the question, How can we measure sustainability? with a webinar and Partner Spotlight featuring the work of the Committee on Sustainability Assessment (COSA) on harmonizing metrics to track progress in sustainable development
- Celebrated World Food Day 2017 and announced the first of a series of workshops on the topic of Small towns in rural territories of the Mediterranean as catalysts of inclusive development and reducing migration, a Collective Action to address the growing challenges of outmigration to cities by youth disillusioned with life and livelihoods in rural communities
- Held a webinar on The Art and Science of Webcasting and Webstreaming, in which presenters shared their experience with delivering quality live and interactive webcasting or webstreaming products
Read more in the stories below!
And if you would like to join the dynamic team of the GFAR Secretariat to help drive this movement for change in agri-food resarch and innovation, check out the opportunities now available for Programme Officer and Legal/Policy Adviser. Deadline for applications is fast approaching!
GFAR is an open and inclusive movement for change, open to all who share in our common purpose of advocating for, and catalyzing Collective Actions to strengthen and transform agri-food research and innovation systems, so that they are more effective in sustainable development.
GFAR Update is a briefing service from the GFAR Secretariat. Our aim is to keep you regularly informed and aware of new initiatives and collective actions of the Partners in GFAR around the world, so that these can have greater reach and impact for those we serve - in particular for poor smallholder farmers and consumers.