FAO’s Project “Developing Capacity for Strengthening Food Security and Nutrition in Selected Countries of the Caucasus and Central Asia” (funded by the Russian Federation), in collaboration with the Global Forum on Food Security and Nutrition and the FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, invites you to share good practices and lessons learned on food security and nutrition policy implementation in the region.
Many countries in Europe and Central Asia have made significant socio-economic progress over the past decades and are increasing their demand for ideas, experiences, good practices and lessons learned developed within their own region.
The aim of this call is to take stock of policy processes that will feed into a compendium of good practices for inclusive policies and inter-sectoral coordination mechanisms in the field of food security and nutrition.
The compendium will then form the basis for a FAO publication on food security and nutrition policy implementation and inter-sectoral coordination mechanisms in the region of Europe and Central Asia. The publication will focus on four main areas:
- Sustainable food systems for improved nutrition
- School food and nutrition programs linked to the agricultural sector
- Nutrition sensitive social protection programs
- Governance and accountability for nutrition.
This publication will provide useful examples from countries of the region for introducing new or improving existing development models. The case studies would inform targeted policy briefs, brochures, technical notes and regional or global events thus helping to increase awareness of governments and the public at national and sub-national levels.
To make your contributions as relevant as possible, we would like to invite you to share your examples following the following guidelines:
- Choose one theme out of the four focus areas of the publication mentioned above;
- Describe the geographic scope of your example (regional, sub-regional, national, local);
- Describe the main objectives and the implementation approach of your example;
- Describe the policies supporting approach in terms of funding and technical assistance of your example;
- Describe the cross-sectoral coordination mechanism and list the stakeholders involved in your example;
- Describe how the examples linked to existing social protection policies/school food programs/sustainable food systems address challenges in the field of food security and nutrition;
- Describes the elements needed for the practice to be institutionally, socially, economically and environmentally resilient and/or sustainable;
- Describe the impact of your example on national policies and people’s lives and how this was measured;
- Describe the lessons (positive and negative) that could be learned from your case and how gaps, obstacles and any other adverse conditions were addressed.
The collected good practices will be analyzed and included into a FAO publication. The authors of the selected examples for the publication will be acknowledged. In addition, the Advisory Panel of the Regional Symposium on Sustainable Food Systems for Healthy Diets and Improved Nutrition in Europe and Central Asia will evaluate the collected cases and select among them for including in the Symposium programme. The Regional Symposium is under preparation by the FAO Regional Office in Europe and Central Asia in collaboration with WHO, WFP and UNICEF and will take place in December 2017.
The deadline for submissions is 31st October 2017.
Please use the submission form to share your examples and experiences in English or Russian. You can download it here:
You can upload the completed form as an attachment here: www.fao.org/fsnforum/activities/open-calls/FSN_policy_implementation or send it via email to fsn-moderator[at]fao[dot]org. Please feel also free to send supporting material that you deem relevant.