Grade Level: P-2
Duty Station: Italy, Rome
Organizational Unit: Nutrition and Food Systems Division, ESN
Duration *: Fixed term: 2 years, with possibility of extension
FAO's Nutrition and Food Systems Division assists Member Countries to improve diets and raise levels of nutrition and provides support with appropriate policies, strategies and methodologies for improving the efficiency and inclusiveness of their food and agricultural systems. As a knowledge leader, areas addressed include dietary assessment, support on nutrition-sensitive food and agriculture policies and programmes, effective nutrition promotion programmes, nutrition-sensitive programmes, sustainable foodsystems, market linkages, post-harvest handling and agro-processing. FAO is committed to support Member States in their efforts to improve nutritional outcomes as stated in the Rome Declaration on Nutrition during the Second International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2-November 2014) and to mainstream nutrition into FAO's strategic objectives. The post is located at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy, and is part of the Nutrition Education and Consumer Awareness Team.
The Nutrition and Food Systems Officer reports to the Senior Officer and Food Systems Officer under the overall guidance of the Director of the Nutrition and Food Systems Division. Technical Focus Support in the planning and implementing innovative food and nutrition programmes, including nutrition education programmes development of materials and tools, including Food-Based Dietary Guidelines for different age groups and sectors addressing all forms of malnutrition within a food-systems approach.
Collection, analysis and review of information, data and statistics, and project/meeting services to support programme products, projects, publications, and services.
• Collects, reviews/cross checks and/or analyses relevant agricultural, economic, trade, market, social, environmental, nutrition/food composition and/or gender related data, statistics and information to support delivery of programme projects, products, publications and services.
• Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical documents and/or publications.
• Participates in the development of improved tools and methodologies.
• Updates databases and web pages.
• Participates on multi-disciplinary project/work teams
• Participates in the development of training materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.
• Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners
• Assists policy support on integrating of food and nutrition education in different sector interventions (nutrition, agriculture, agri-food systems, social protection, etc.).
• Assists in designing and implementing needs assessment surveys and in the context of impact evaluation of programmes for developing and scaling up innovative programmes related to nutrition education policies and programs, and of nutrition-sensitive programmes.
• Participates in the development of technical guidelines, policy briefs, methodologies, technical papers and training materials related to food and nutrition education geared towards country policy support.
• Contributes to capacity-development activities in food and nutrition education for different sectors and different target groups.
• Assists in transferring and adapting FAO's knowledge products for country level impacts and results.
• Provides technical support for the establishment of national food and nutrition education policies and programmes, and in nutrition-sensitive programmes, Food-Based Dietary Guidelines and standards in line with local food systems and culture.
• Contributes to the development of monitoring tools and evaluation efforts to assess the effectiveness of food
and nutrition education, nutrition-sensitive policies, and sustainable food systems interventions and programmes.
• Performs other related duties as required.
For information about minimum requirements, remuneration and application instructions, see the vacancy announcement here.